Venturers (Ages 15-17)
Venturer Scouts offers a challenging mix of activities that appeal to teenage boys and girls – extreme adventure and extreme achievement.
Bored? Feel like doing something with your life? Don’t know where to start?
Try Venturer Scouts. It’s a do-it-yourself mix of fun, adventure and personal challenge that will bring you together with other young people who feel the same way.
You may find yourself exploring wilderness Australia, camping above the snowline or diving on coral reefs. You could be abseiling into a limestone cave or climbing a sheer rock face. Perhaps you’ll learn white water kayaking or ride your mountain bike on an expedition across real mountains.
Whatever your challenge, there will be trained and highly experienced adults to guide you through the experience, to teach you the necessary skills and safety techniques. Venturers get the opportunity to travel overseas and to organized activities, to live with a different community to provide service to others.
Manage your own program
Venturers don’t just develop physical skills. You will manage your own Venturer Unit, where the adult leaders are there to provide advice, not rule your life. The Unit Council makes the decisions, plans and runs the activities, drawing on expert help whenever it is required. You can even develop your own website to promote your activities.
You’ll have the opportunity to become involved in staging professional shows, learning how to act, sing or play an instrument. Perhaps you’ll make videos, become a sound engineer, develop your own photographs or contribute your writing for publication. You will learn responsibility for the environment and work on service projects, helping other people in the community.
There are leadership and management courses that will help you in your career and personal life, when you have to make all the decisions. You’ll learn how to meet new challenges, deal with new situations, and develop your own independence. Your achievements will be recognised, with the ultimate goal the Queen’s Scout Award, which employers regard very favourably. Venturers really is the pathway to success.
Get a social life
The social side of Venturers is up to you. There will be camps and discos, outings and shared interest so you will meet new people and have plenty of time to get to know them and make lifelong friends. Venturers are serious about having fun.
Venturer Scouts is for young people from 14 – 18 and you don’t have to have experience in Scouts or Guides first. It’s your call – find out where your nearest Venturer Unit meets.
We call it do-it-yourself fun!
Trained Leaders and Assistants volunteer their time to run Venturer Units. Venturer Scouts can also volunteer as Youth Helpers with Joey Mobs, Cub Packs and Scout Troops.
Venturer activities include weekly meetings where you can make friendships, develop group work experiences and provide leadership opportunities.
Venturer Scouts work alongside adults to get the best out of their program and to design a program that meets their needs including activities like:
- Adventure activities – abseiling, canyoning, snowboarding, rock climbing, canoeing, SCUBA diving, caving, sailing, hiking, camping, skiing, and bike riding.
- Explore personal interests- fishing, photography, amateur radio, first aid, surfing the Internet, Gangshow, environment, and cooking
- Social Activities- ice skating, photo chase, scavenger hunts, ten pin bowling, formal regressive Maccas dinners, movie nights, and mini golf
- Getting involved with the community- Clean Up Australia Day, helping out with younger Scouting sections, assisting with local community events, and bush regeneration of local parks and bushland
- Venture – the ultimate adventure for a Venturer Scout is to travel interstate or even overseas to a Venture camp with thousands of other Venturer Scouts from around Australia and overseas.
- Venturer Scouts in SA also have the opportunity to participate in events such as Easter Venture and Supersplash.
Earn VET Certifications while having fun!
If you are love the dramatic arts, why not apply for VET Certification for free as part of the award Scheme.